Every year they have a Greek festival at the Greek orthodox church across the street from our chapel and we have wanted to go for a while and we finally went this year. There was an entrance fee and the food was carnival priced food but it was amazing! I decided that Greek food (at least the stuff we tried) is my favorite!! We had Greek salad, which has all the stuff I like on it and a pita bread taco type thing. For dessert we had Loukoumathes, which was like a scone with honey and powder sugar on it. I loved the food but I have to admit the Greek dancing was boring to watch. After watching for a little while they let us join in and of course I took advantage of it! It was like a Congo line but you put your arm over the person next to you and you do a grape vine type of dance. It was a lot of fun and I wanted Luke to join in but he didn't. After the festival we toured the Greek orthodox church, which surprisingly had similar beliefs and rituals as our church. They baptize my immersion, bless the sick with healing oil, have male priests administer the sacrament, and have the holy of holies. Another thing they do that I thought was interesting is that the priests do marry (some church's they are "married" to the church) and family is seen as important. It was a good night learning about a different culture and having fun together.






No comments:
Post a Comment